When it comes to outdoor camping, your tent can make-or-break your trip. This is especially true when backpacking. If your tent too heavy, carrying it can be a hassle. You also do not want to spend hours trying to pitch a complicated tent. Additionally, and perhaps most importantly, your backpacking tent must be affordable. Luckily, there are a few really great options that are also affordable. Let’s take a look at the five best backpacking tents available for under $100.
The 5 Best Backpacking Tents for Under $100
5. ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1-Person Tent
Packed with features, the ALPS Mountaineering Lynx is a lightweight one person tent. It has a freestanding design and comes with pole clips that securely attach to the aluminum poles for quick and easy setup. The door and vestibule have large zippers for easy entrance and exit. The majority of the walls are mesh for increased ventilation. The fly and floor seams are sealed to prevent rain from getting in. For added waterproof protection the floor also has 2000mm coating.
- The tent has a base size of 2’8 x 7’6 and the center height is 36”. Plenty of room for one person to move around comfortably.
- Alps Mountaineering Lynx 1-person tent comes with sealed floor and fly seams for added weather protection.
- Total weight of the backpacking tent is 4 lbs. 1 oz.
- There is storage space in the vestibule and convenient gear pockets inside.
- The pole clips ensure fast and easy assembly.
- Half mesh walls allow for plenty of air flow.
- The fly buckles are weatherproof and make adjustments a breeze.
- Aluminum stakes and guy lines are included.
- The tent is small, even for one designed for one person.
- Bags will need to be stored on the ground in the vestibule.
4. River Country Products Trekker Tent 2
The lightweight River Country Trekker Tent 2 is ideal for solo hikes when you need space to store your gear. There is also plenty of room for two people, if all you’re bringing are a couple of backpacks. It fits easily into a backpack, while still leaving room for other essentials. This is also a three season tent, so you can camp and stay comfortable in almost any weather. It is lightweight, roomy and easy to setup and take back down.
- Measures 7’ long and 62” wide for plenty of space for storage or two people.
- Can be setup in a minute and taken down just as quickly.
- Weighs only 2 lbs. 12 oz and fits easily into a backpack.
- It is considered a three season backpacking tent.
- Folds up small enough to fit into a backpack and still leave room for additional gear.
- It is slightly over 7 feet long for plenty of room.
- The Trekker Tent 2 comes with stakes and a storage bag.
- Easy to set up and take back down.
- The trekking poles are not included with the tent.
- There might not be enough room for two people with gear.
3. Rakaia Designs 2 Person Camping & Backpacking Tent
Stay warm and dry in the Rakaia Designs 2 Person Camping & Backpacking Tent. It is constructed from environmentally friendly materials that are also durable and waterproof. Even in hard rainstorms, you and your gear will stay comfortably dry. It also has plenty of room for you and a friend, even your gear. The company does offer a customer satisfaction guarantee so if it doesn’t perform to your expectations, your purchase is covered.
- The 210T polyester floor has 5000mm waterproofing so gear stays dry.
- Mesh panels improve air flow without letting in bugs.
- The Rakaia Designs 2 person tent is easy to set up, even in the rain.
- It is lightweight at only 3 lbs. 14 oz.
- Comes with everything you need to set it up in minutes.
- The included carrying bag is ideal for storage.
- The fly is waterproof, along with the floor.
- The tent’s performance is guaranteed.
- It is only a two season tent, spring and summer.
- Two adults with gear might feel cramped.
2. Mobihome 3 Person Tents for Camping
Even though the Mobihome Camping Tent is large enough for three people, it is so easy to set up one person can do it in minutes. This is due to its hub system design. The windows and roof are mesh for plenty of air flow. The mesh roof is also ideal for nighttime star gazing in your sleeping bag. The fabric is water resistant and the rainfly tightly closes so you can stay dry and comfortable during sudden rainstorms.
- Mobihome’s three person tent can be set up and taken down in minutes by one person, without problems.
- Everything you need for setup is included, including easy to read instructions for first time campers.
- The center height is 43 inches for plenty of head room.
- All of the seams are sealed for extra weather protection.
- There are double layered seams and durable zippers.
- The frame is designed to be wind resistant.
- Mesh windows and roof provide plenty of ventilation.
- There are dual doors for easy access.
- The tent weighs over 6 lbs. and can weigh down your backpack.
- It is difficult to pack this tent in a backpack with other gear.
1. Featherstone Outdoor Backpacking 2 Person Tent
This tent is exactly what its name implies. The Featherstone Outdoor Backpacking Tent is ideal for two people and their gear. It has plenty of room with it’s 84” x 51” floor. There is also vestibule space to safely store your gear. The mesh canopy ensures plenty of ventilation and the rainfly will help keep you dry during a downpour.
- It has a peak height of 43 inches so you can comfortably sit up inside.
- This Featherstone tent is completely waterproofed so you and your gear will stay dry.
- The fabric is resistant to tears so you can camp almost anywhere.
- There are two doors and two vestibules so everyone has plenty of space.
- The tent is lightweight, durable and water resistant.
- Micro mesh fabric improves ventilation and reduces condensation.
- It is considered a three season tent.
- Easy to set up and is free standing.
- Weighing 6 lbs. it can be heavy to carry with other gear.
- There is concern that there are not any supporting tent poles.
Backpacking Tents Under $100 FAQs
What is a backpacking tent?
A backpacking tent is a lightweight tent that is easy to carry and set up for one person. It should also fit into a backpack with your gear, though this does depend on it’s size.
How much does a typical backpacking tent weigh?
Weight for these tents often depends on the size. Some two to three person tents can weigh up to 6 pounds, while smaller ones come in around 2 lbs.
Are backpacking tents good in all seasons?
There are different types of backpacking tents. Some are only designed to be used during the spring and summer, while others are categorized as three season. Just check the product description to make sure the one you get can protect you in the weather you are going camping in.
One of the most important pieces of camping gear is your tent. You want to be protected from the weather, while still having the space you need. It is also important that the tent is lightweight because, after all, you do have to carry it. These tents meet almost every one of a backpacker camper’s needs, you just have to choose the one that is right for you.