Nothing can put a damper on a camping trip as quickly as a rain storm can. When heavy rain rolls in, most camping tents are no match, which means you and your belongings are about to get really wet. But remember, not all camping tents are made equal! A high-quality, waterproof camping tent can help keep you, your family, and your belongings dry in almost any weather conditions.
We love camping, and we don’t let the rain stop us from getting outdoors. Over the years, we have tried and tested many different tents in all types of weather conditions. When it rains hard, these are the waterproof tents we depend on.
Let’s take a look at the five best waterproof tents for camping.
The 5 Best Waterproof Tents
Bessport 2 Person Camping Tent
This Bessport one to two-person lightweight camping tent is an ultra lightweight dome tent. It features two D-shaped doors and vestibules, one on either side. The tent weighs less than six pounds, making it extremely easy to carry around while hiking or navigating outdoor trails. The interior canopy area covers 31 square feet of space, so it is a great option for campers who want a little room to move around without getting in the way of anyone else.
The Bessport tent is waterproof and weather-resistant. It features a seam-taped construction, ensuring that the interior remains dry, even during heavy rainfall. Additionally, the tent also features:
- An elevated bathtub floor design to protect you from the wet ground and prevent rain water from seeping in
- A full coverage rainfly for extra protection against water/rain
- Aluminum alloy stakes pop open for quick and easy setup and are fully wind-resistant so they won’t shift after setup
- It’s freestanding so you can locate and easily move the tent anywhere on your camping grounds
- The company offers a no risk purchase, so you can try the tent out, and return it (no questions asked) if you aren’t happy with it for any reason
Although there are some great features, there are also some drawbacks worth mentioning about this tent. Some of the cons include
- It’s a little smaller than others, and only holds 2-people, which makes it better for couples rather than families
- Customer complaints of the zipper sticking makes it difficult to open/close the tent all the way
- With the full canopy cover it can get warm with limited ventilation options on the tent
Why we love the tent
It’s ultra portable and easy to carry anywhere. It pops up and sets up in a couple of minutes and it features reflective beams making it easy for other campers to spot you in the event of danger. It also comes with stand poles so you can keep the doors open to allow for added ventilation if it gets warm during the day. We also love the affordability and the fact that the manufacturer offers a no-risk purchase, allowing customers to try the tent out and return it if they don’t like it.
ToMount 8 Person Tent
The ToMount 8-Person Tent is a giant, making it ideal for family camping trips. It can house up to 8 people comfortably, and can hold up to 3 queen sized inflatable mattresses or 8 sleeping bags. It’s easy to set up, featuring pop up designs, and smooth and sturdy two-way zippers, so they don’t get snagged when setting up the tent.
Some of the best features of this waterproof tent include
- The large size and ability to fit up to 3 queen sized mattresses making it ideal for couples with kids
- It’s windproof and waterproof with a rating of up to 400 mm
- It features 1 large mesh door, 5 large windows, and the mesh vent top cover; this allows for optimal breathability and comfort, even in muggy conditions
- The mesh also helps keep bugs out, and there’s an electric access port, allowing you to run electric devices and connect them to outside power sources
How about the negative aspects? Some of the cons include
- It takes longer to set up than other portable tents (10 minutes)
- It’s bulkier and heavier than others on the list
- It doesn’t include a money back guarantee/trial period, but does offer 24/7 access to support
Why we love this tent
The size! It’s perfect for families and it’s wind and waterproof, so it’ll keep you dry, regardless of where you’re camping. The electrical access port is another great selling feature, allowing you to bring along your electronic devices and charge them from inside the tent. It’s available in three vibrant, bright colors as well, so you’re easy to spot if you need help during your camping trip.
Forceatt Backpacking 2 Person Tent
The Forceatt Backpacking Tent is a lightweight, two door camping tent that is perfect for couples on their next camping trip. It packs away into a small carry bag, making it easy to carry along in your backpack while hiking or camping. It features two D-shaped doors and vestibules, so each person has their own entry/exit, and their own corner space for comfort and mobility in the tent.
At 5.5 lbs (2.5 kg), this tent may be very lightweight, but it is still extremely durable. It’s waterproof up to 5000 mm with an elevated welded floor and a polyester fabric rainfly that covers the entire roof. Additionally, the strong frame ensures that the tent is windproof. Although it is designed for backpacking, it is truly a high quality 3 season tent.
Some of the best features this tent offers campers includes
- It has a waterproof index of up to 500 mm and features a welded floor design to keep you dry even atop wet soil
- 7001 series aluminum poles are sturdy and prop open for quick setup and take down
- There are two ceiling vents and one large ventilation window to provide airflow, prevent condensation, and keep the bugs out
- Customers can receive a new tent (without returning the original) in case of damage; the company offers a no-risk purchase guarantee
The cons or primary drawbacks include
- The size; it’s not a great camping tent for families and is geared more towards couples or single hikers
- The interior clearance height of 43 inches is a bit short for standing/movement
- There are plenty of parts for setup, so it takes a little more time than other tents
Why we love this tent
It’s breathable, affordable, and made with high quality materials. It’s easily one of the best waterproof tents with a 500 mm rating. There are also several mesh panels, so you’ll keep cool in warm conditions. We also appreciate the compact size, and it’s lightweight design, weighing in at about 5.5 pounds.
QOMOTOP Camping Tent
If size is what you’re looking for, look no further. The QOMOTOP Camping Tent is available in 4, 6, or 10 person sizes, making it one of the top waterproof family tents. It sets up in about one minute, features a roomy interior, mesh panels, and electrical cord port. The full seamed taped-tent also helps prevent water from penetrating from the sides or below ground, regardless of the weather conditions during your camping trip.
Some of the greatest features of this tent includes
- The variety of sizes makes it ideal for families as well as couples going camping
- It has electrical cord access ports and gate mats allowing owners to connect electronic devices and charge them, to external power sources
- There is a mesh roof and ground vent to circulate cool air inside the tent
- It features a PE tube floor and PU taping, for optimal waterproofing and keeping you dry
- The high-quality rain fly ensures that the interior of the tent stays dry, even during heavy rain
The cons which consumers should be aware of before investing in this tent are
- It only features one entry/exit door, which is fewer than some tents on this list which are much smaller
- It doesn’t indicate the waterproof rating, so you don’t know just how dry you’ll remain in certain conditions
- Some customers also complain of holes/puncturing easily after limited use
Why we love this tent
The price for the size is exceptional. We like the electric port which is lacking in other tents. We also like that it is actually designed for families, which is what you’re planning, a family camping trip. We like the quick and easy setup and take down and overall design, along with improved ventilation as well.
TOMOUNT 3 or 5-Person Camping Tent
The ToMount Camping Tent is a water and windproof tent available in 3 and 5-person varieties. It’s portable and includes a carrying bag, features three large mesh panels for ventilation, and is large enough for a queen mattress or up to three camping bags. The setup time is about 8 minutes, so it is a little lengthier than others, but taking down the tent is quick and easy.
The pros of this tent include
- The high windproof rating and waterproof rating of up to 400 mm
- It offers plenty of ventilation with one large mesh door and two mesh windows
- The continuous pole design is snag-free making it easy to setup the tent
- There is an electrical access port for charging electronics while the tent is zipped shut
- The tent features sturdy, two-way zippers that do not get stuck
- Storage pockets inside the tent provide a safe, dry place for valuable items
Some of the drawbacks include
- The interior space isn’t too roomy, only allowing enough room for one queen sized mattress or three tents
- It isn’t as large as other family tents, so might be a bit tight for more than the parents and one child
- The setup time is longer than that of other tents on the list
Why we love this tent
It’s extremely affordable, well-made, and has a high waterproof rating of 400 mm. It does take longer to setup than others, but is lightweight and highly portable. It’s also available in 3 or 5-person sizes, so you can find what works best for your family and budget.
Buyer’s Guide: How to Choose a Waterproof Tent
When choosing a waterproof camping tent, there are a few different factors that it is important to consider.
A waterproof tent should have a high waterproof rating. We suggest anything with a 400 mm rating or higher. Additionally, the tent should be windproof so that it won’t move, sway, or fly away, after setting it up. You want a tent that’s “weatherproof” not just waterproof.
When selecting a waterproof camping tent, make sure it features mesh panels. This not only helps keep the tent ventilated and comfortable with multiple people inside, but also allows for free airflow. Mesh panels and windows will also keep bugs out, so this is an added benefit.
If you have a tent with a screen room, it is important to make sure that it also includes an awning or rainfly. In the event of a rain storm, if you do not have an awning or rainfly, it’s a good idea to disconnect and completely remove the screen porch section from your tent. If the screen room is permanently attached to the tent, you can cover it with a tarp as a last resort.
The size of the tent is another important factor to consider. If you have 10 family members, you’ll need a 10 person tent. Be sure to look at the tent’s internal dimensions, height, and floor space. These are important aspects to make sure everyone is comfortable, and to prevent fights between the kids.
Setup and Take Down Time
Some family camping tents can take up to 30 minutes to put together. Look for tents which are easy to setup and take down. Foldable mechanisms, sturdy poles, no-snag designs, and “instant” tents, are all words you should look for when choosing a tent. Additionally, many modern tents have color coded parts to make the set up process easier and quicker.
There are also optional features to look for when buying family camping tents. Some of these include
- Electrical ports for charging devices/electronics
- Side ventilation systems
- Reflective design (safety)
- Color options
- Additional canopies
And, the list goes on. Depending on your budget, there are great optional features you’ll find with certain camping tents.
Waterproof Camping Tent FAQs
What should I look for in a waterproof family camping tent?
We suggest making sure the tent has enough room for all family members. We also suggest choosing a tent that has the features your family needs. For example, if camping with the kids, you want a tent that has an electric access port so they can bring their electronics with them.
Additionally, you should look for a tent that is affordable, durable, easy to set up, and is fully waterproof.
Which tent is the best for my family and I?
First and foremost, you need a tent that is large enough for your family. Typically, a cabin tent is the best option for most families and groups. Because cabin style tents typically have straight walls, there is more room to stand up and move around inside.
In addition, larger tents usually have enough room for multiple queen sized mattresses, sleeping bags, and cots. The extra space allows everyone to have their own area to sleep comfortably in.
How do I know if a tent is fully waterproof?
To ensure that your tent is fully waterproof, there are a few things you should look out for. Make sure the tent has been tested (and verified). Also look for a rating of 400 mm or higher. Look for tents that have a PU material finish and waterproof ground base. The tent should also feature canopies and fully seamed two-way zippers. This ensures you can open/close the zipper entirely, so water won’t seep in through the sides.
While these are all great options, the best waterproof tent is the TOMount 8-Person tent. It is both waterproof and windproof, so it is capable of withstanding harsh elements and weather throughout most of the year. In addition, the tent features a 5 layer mesh ventilation system, so if it gets too hot out, you can stay cool and bug-free in the breezy shade. We are also big fans of the tent’s sturdy construction, large interior space, and electric access port.
Is there another great waterproof tent that you love? We’d love to try it out! Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.